pin it

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Why I Live Here


These Hint of Lilac Irridescent Earrings were the big seller of the past week. They are a classic example of our simple glass earrings line in which we cut a groove around the edge of the glass cabachon and then wirewrap using the groove to provide a secure grip on the slippery buggers.
The overall health in our household has been improving. Max is over his blister filled mouth disease. We had a pink eye scare on Valentine's Day but it turned out to just be a scratch on his lower eyelid. I continue to cough but not quite as often and it doesn't wake me up at night. Nick is seeing an improvement in his cough as well. So things are looking up.
We had a grand life affirming experience today. Although still feeling exhausted but more like the general exhaustion of being 40 something parents of two active young boys, we dragged ourselves out of the house to do some errands. We were able to go to the Post Office, pick up a prescription and get my drivers license renewed at the local DMV all in 40 minutes. I can only imagine the ordeal the DMV alone would have been if I still lived in Brooklyn.
We have disturbing memories of our visit top the DMV in Brooklyn about 18 years ago when we lived in my parents basement (like Gloria and Meathead). It involved a Kafka -esque journey through the rings of hell with a serpentine line up of hundreds of people crammed into a dingy warehouse officebuilding. I seem to remember one of us having to leave repeatedly to keep feeding the parking meter. We were met by an indifferent zombie servant when we finally made it to the appropriate window who I was glad did not eat us or send us on to a different line.
In contrast the Corvallis DMV was on a quiet little side street built just for the DMV. It had a roomy empty parking lot. Both children had conveniently fallen asleep so Nick got to take a nap in the car too. (Another thing I probably wouldn't attempt in downtown Brooklyn). I entered the building at 2PM and took a number (17) . They were on 13 when I arrived. I was quickly called, paid the fee, said yes I am still the same height and weight as I was in 1991 (one of which was a small lie) and was out the building by 2:12PM with a new hideous photo of myself on my new drivers license.
And that's why I live in Philomath Oregon.

No comments: